PHONE:  (540) 949-8945
170 Hall School Road ♦ Waynesboro, VA 22980
Springdale Mennonite Church
Come Worship with Us and Know the Love of Christ!

THE HISTORY OF SPRINGDALE

The church at Springdale traces its history back to its infancy in 1825. Land deeds as early as 1796 show Mennonite families moving into Augusta County from both Pennsylvania and the northern part of the Shenandoah Valley. These settlements were widely scattered, but two centers developed, one on the lower South River (which became the Hildebrand settlement), and a second on the upper South River in what was known as the Kendig Section of the county. 

The first church services were most likely held in homes in the community. In 1825, a school house was brought into use as a church and became known as Kendig’s Chapel.  The name was changed to Springdale in 1886 when a new building was constructed. The old weather-boarded log church was moved to another location so the new church could be placed about where the old one had stood.

Services were possibly held in Hall’s schoolhouse, which stood on the edge of the church property, while the construction was underway. The new white weatherboard church was heated by stoves and lit by kerosene lamps. This building served until the advent of automobiles, through the depression and the introduction of electricity, until the beginning of World War II. 
 
German was used for services until about 1840. For several decades after that, German and English were both used.  After 1880, only English was used.

In the late 1880s, persons from Springdale began making contacts with families near the Blue Ridge Mountains. Singings and worship services were held under trees, and in 1900, a daughter church was built at Mountain View. Other mission work resulted in churches in Stuarts Draft in the 1920s and later at Greenmonte.

Sunday School was first organized at Springdale around 1892, with the understanding that only the Bible would be used. At first, Sunday Schools were held only from April to October of each year. By 1900, Springdale had membership of about one hundred. In 1933, 150 members were listed.

In 1941, the old church building was removed to make place for a new one. The new building was dedicated on April 14, 1942. In February, 1959, the church caught fire, possibly from an overheated furnace. Many records and materials were destroyed and most of the interior of the church was blackened from smoke. While the building was being restored, church services were held a Stuarts Draft Elementary School. 

Ministers and deacons for Springdale were chosen by the “lot” until the 1950s. Prior to 1964, all of the pastors at Springdale came from within the community or the congregation. After 1964, all of the pastors have come from outside of the congregation.
Springdale Mennonite Church in Waynesboro, VA
The historical information on this page has been excerpted from documents written by Marion Weaver, Springdale's former Contregational Historian, in 1997.  And, from the book "Where the River Flows: A History of Springdale Mennonite Church" by Kathryn Huber (1997).  
 
This book is on sale and can be ordered either through Amazon.com, Alibris.com or by contacting Nancy Stoll at Springdale at (540) 949-8945 or by email.  (If ordered directly from Springdale, softcovers are $10 each, hardcovers are $15 each, plus shipping & handling.)
In 1991, an addition to the church building included a foyer, offices and additional restrooms.  Classrooms were also added upstairs, as well as a kitchen and fellowship hall downstairs.

The Mennonite congregations in the area have made adjustments over the years so that today they resemble many modern-day churches in appearances. Still, it is their intent to be faithful to the principles of Scripture and to some of the original interests and concerns of the early Christian church and the early Mennonites. The Christian life is viewed as a daily walk in the footsteps of Christ. The church organization is structured in such a way that responsibility is shared by many persons. Our congregation is no longer made up of rural people or Mennonite heritage only; instead, many folks from a wide variety of occupations, interests, and denominational backgrounds call Springdale “my church.”  

The welcome mat is out to everyone. Come join us.
The view from Springdale's back parking lot.